Thursday, March 8, 2012

In Memoriam

EVELYN PRATHER
1925-2012

I received word today of the passing of a very dear old friend who was buried yesterday. I'll never forget her or the several years I lived across the street from her in Chillicothe thirty years ago. We enjoyed spending time together birdwatching, taking nature hikes at the Marshall County Conservation area, planning and working on Claud-Elen Days, and gardening in her big backyard. Evelyn taught me how to can tomatoes and other vegetables we grew together, and we had lots of fun making ice candles and watching her mother, Grammy Goforth, (visiting from Arizona) put on her clown costume and makeup to entertain senior citizens.

A couple of weeks ago I was blessed to receive a phone call from her. I'll always cherish that chance to talk with her and hear her voice for one last time. Although distance and time separated us, we still kept in touch with Christmas and birthday cards and letters, which we signed "Best Friends Forever." Her genuine warmth and kindness, her laughter and joyous spirit will live on in my heart and my memory.

Although she was old enough to be my mother, and for a time she might have been my mother-in law, she was more like a big sister to me and we'll be...

"BEST FRIENDS FOREVER"

No comments:

Post a Comment