Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Work in Progress - Small Tin

This is my first commission all year. I was first presented with the project on Dec. 12, so this is a rush job if ever there was one. I was asked to paint an antique tin, and thankfully the man (who's having this painted for his wife as a Xmas gift) already had it sanded and primed. I decide on a folksy blue background. Tomorrow, when I'm sure the second coat has had adequate dry-time, I'll start painting.  I've never painted on metal before. I hope this isn't a disaster!

There are to be 3 evergreen trees, with snow on the ground, on the two sides because they used to have a Xmas tree farm. The man asked his wife what her favorite flower was and she said a rose.  He said, I thought your favorite flower was the daisy. Oh, well, yes, but that was when I was young. The rose is my favorite now, she says.

So there will be a daisy chain curving around both ends, her favorite flower when she was young.

On top, on the lid...he wants the reddest roses I can paint! Three of them, to represent their three children. Aw, man, not red! Any color but red! How do you tell someone this is a design disaster? But the thought is so sweet and he insists the roses be red. I'm going to make them really fill the space of the lid, also with some greenery, so maybe the light blue background won't be as noticeable. I think the blue works well with the other elements of the design. Anyway, I sure hope so!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished tin! is it possible to paint just the top of the lid (not the sides of the lid, just the very top where the beloved roses will go) another color so the roses stand out...maybe a cream color?

    ReplyDelete