Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Kindergarten Tree


This is the kindergarten tree. At 18 years old, I think it must be full-grown. Little Jacob got this blue spruce on Earth Day, in kindergarten. We planted the little twig, and just like our son, it grew up tall over the years. I couldn't say how tall it is; I really should get a picture with Jacob beside it, for a better idea of how tall it is.

This tree almost didn't make it. Years ago, Rich burned some leaves and sticks in a pile on the edge of the woods. He was too close to the back of the tree (then only about 6 feet tall), and he scorched it pretty badly. But it survived and looks good, from the front, anyway.

This snow was from our howling storm on New Year's Eve. I was fascinated to see a few icicles hanging from the tips of its branches. When I was a kid, we put plastic icicle decorations on our Christmas tree. But I've never actually noticed real icicles on an evergreen before. These icicles were slanting away from the wind as they formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment