Monday, July 1, 2013

3 Lives Down - 6 to Go!

Katmandu has been an outdoor cat for the entire six years of her life. She had her sister living here with her for a year or two, but they came to blows and KittenYahoo ran away from home.

Cats have nine lives, they say, and I actually have no idea how many times Katty may have cheated death.  Once for sure when she had some kind of brain fever that caused her to leap and somersault and fall down --- and left her a Lefty (ever since she got well, she walks and runs with her head canted to the left).

Another time Katty cheated the Grim Reaper was when I saw a copper-red-colored coyote (no, it wasn't a fox --- i know the diff) leaving our driveway. No doubt he was either looking for Katty or she'd already escaped.

Yesterday morning I woke up to a noise. At first I thought it was my tummy growling, but then I recognized that stressed-out yowling to be Katty. I ran to the back door and there was a BOBCAT standing with its head under the porch.  All I could see was its back and stubby, black-tipped tail. I could hear Katty spitting and hissing under the porch.

I ran and woke Rich. He slipped out the back door with his shotgun, but the bobcat heard him coming. It poked its head around the corner for just an instant and he got a good look at its bobby face. Then it was gone!

Poor Katty!  She's been a nervous wreck ever since.  We knew there are bobbies around here. Rich saw one at a distance when he was hunting last fall. But I've never seen one outside a zoo, so it was pretty exciting!

1 comment:

  1. wow! I don't know if Katmandu thought that bobcat was exciting or not...you got a lot of nature going on at your place!

    ReplyDelete