Friday, October 24, 2014

So Many Years

We attended the funeral of my step-father on Wednesday. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, because I've been kicked out of the family for over 20 years now. I was never notified of his passing: first clue that I WAS NOT WELCOME there, at his funeral.

I won't speak ill of the behavior of the others. But I did connect with my mother. We exchanged our sorries and felt very bad for all the years wasted. I read in her eyes such sorrow, fear, and desperation. She's a widow now, frail and used up from the care of her dying husband. I hope the girls take good care of her. I pray for the reconciliation of all involved, as I've been doing for years & years.

"So Many Years" poem by C.C.
I got home, exhausted (I'd attended the viewing the night before too), and wrote this poem.  It kind of puts things into perspective when you realize how stubborn pride can keep a family apart for two decades, while a grandson grows up without his grand- parents or aunts in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment