Friday, October 26, 2012

End of Summer Blues

Last spring my husband planted blue morning glories on both sides of this piece of fencing out by the garden. Mistake #1: He planted them too closely and didn't thin them. Soon the fence was covered by vines that just would not stop growing.  Mistake #2:  I found out that I watered them too much, which caused them to continue to vine out, but form few flowers. (I actually found the empty seed packet where I read this tip.) So I held back the water, and started getting a few more blooms.

Now autumn is flying by, and the morning glories have been a disappointment. We've already vowed to space them properly next year and not overwater. Recently we had a frost that killed many of the green leaves on the vines.  

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

It was looking pretty sorry until yesterday, when I went out to the garden and was greeted by this amazing sight! All it took was a few warm days to coax this incredible abundance of blossoms!

Alas, tonight will be a killing frost, so I'm "singin' the blues."

2 comments:

  1. they are kind of in the shape of a llama with an added Mary at the bottom! Great picture.

    ReplyDelete