Thursday, October 4, 2012

World Animal Day


Today we celebrate ANIMALS!   

Beary, age 5 weeks
The Blessing of Pets and Animals is celebrated on the Feast Day of St. Francis, who loved all creatures, great and small.   

In many Catholic schools and churches today, parishioners will bring their pets to have them blessed by the priest.  I’d love to take my pets, but my Katty is hyper-nervous and yowls when she’s taken to the vet --- so I’m not going to put her through the stress of being in a mob of other cats, kids, and dogs.  And Beary, my German Shepherd, isn’t used to being around children and strangers, so I've blessed them myself here at home. 

Katmandu, age about 8 weeks
“Blessed are you, Lord God, maker of all living creatures. You called forth fish in the sea, birds in the air and animals on the land. You inspired St. Francis to call all of them his brothers and sisters. I ask you to bless Beary and Katty. By the power of your love, enable them to live according to your plan. May we always praise you for all your beauty in creation. Blessed are you, Lord our God, in all your creatures! Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment