Thursday, June 5, 2014

My Chimayo

The actual purpose of this trip, that I made to northern New Mexico in April 2014, was to visit this holy place of spiritual renewal and healing: El Santuario de Chimayo.


I was very near Chimayo during Holy Week, but I was warned by several long-time locals to avoid going during that particular time. This tiny mountain village in Northern New Mexico is known as "the Lourdes of the United States," and thousands of pilgrims overwhelm the sacred place on Good Friday every year. I don't do well with crowds.


There were still plenty of visitors the afternoon I was there, but I was in no hurry and was happy to work around them for a couple hours. Above is a very long covered walkway with a very long prayer wall full of pictures.  There was still room on the ends to add more pictures, so I left a photo of someone dear to me to be prayed for.


My photography was one long prayer that afternoon --- that's how stunned I was at the beauty of this place. The only time I wasn't snapping pictures was when I put my camera away in my bag and went into the little 200-year-old chapel to gaze at its simple splendor and to pray (no photos allowed).  I scooped up a small tin full of "tierra bendita," the holy dirt from the spot where a crucifix was once found buried, dirt which is supposed to have healing properties.  Many, many crutches and canes have been left behind by those who claim to have received miracle cures of their infirmities.




When I was ready to leave, I stopped for one last prayer at this outdoor shrine to Our Lady of Sorrows, one of many such prayer sites scattered about the beautiful grounds of the chapel.  I experienced the deepest peace imaginable as I finished my prayer and started the long walk back to my truck. 


Suddenly, looking about, I was utterly amazed!  I was the only person to be seen on the entire grounds of the sanctuary (except for a few people at the far end near the entrance gate). The parking lot only had a few cars left scattered about.

I walked back along the Santa Cruz River, taking one last look at the bucolic communal pasture on my left and the seven huge stone crosses that commemorate the Seven Days of Creation on my right.


So I made my visit, I completed my pilgrimage, on the last "free" day of my two weeks in Taos, Friday, April 25th.  The following day I planned to rest a lot in my casita, to prepare (mentally & physically, for the long drive home) and pack my truck for an early departure, Sunday morning, the 27th.

I'm filled with joy even now, a whole month later, at the spiritual peace and renewal that I received at Chimayo, and that I was somehow able to capture and bring home with me. I'm glad I waited til the last possible day to see El Santuario de Chimayo. 

May its blessings and beauty forever remain close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment