Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hello Old Friend!

Jacob with Kitten Nugget circa 1996
When I was in the waiting room for physical therapy yesterday, who should walk in but my son's 2nd grade teacher! 

I greeted her by name, and while she was signing in, I was racking my feeble brain trying to make sure I had the right name for her.  It's been at least 15 years since I've seen her. She looked the same, but lighter --- and she was walking with a walker.

When she came back to sit beside me and visit, I knew I had the right name on the right teacher. She had the waiting room in stitches, talking about all of her walkers, crutches and canes --- they were each named because they're old friends and they take good care of her.  But only one had a female name, though, because she does all the work. 

She asked about my son, by name, and told me she still has this precious little wooden cross he'd made her, painted gold (because gold is her favorite color), and edged in black. She's probably one of the few teachers who remember my son with any fondness, I'm afraid, because she had him in her class when he was still little and sweet and manageable. (Sorry, son...)

She mentioned surgery on her leg, and then proudly told me she's a 4-time cancer survivor.  She's one of the most beloved teachers at my son's school, who's filling her retirement years volunteer-teaching back in the same school. It was so good to see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment