Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Afternoon Photo Tour

Geraint Smith picked me up at 1 for our afternoon photo tour on Thursday.  We headed south out of town on Rte 68, a way I'd been before. But I was sight-seeing.

ME: "What's that?"
GERAINT: "What?"
ME: "That thing way off over there, that looks like the Great Wall of China." 
GERAINT: "Oh, that's the Rio Grande Gorge. That's where we're going."

He turned off the main road at Pilar, a little village on the river, and we wound our way up and out of the Gorge (I guess, I was lost...). 


On the way we marveled at huge boulders pieced together like a giant-child's puzzle.  


We met a painter at one point. He was all by himself up on a cliff; the rest of his family was hiking below, somewhere.


We crossed some bridges, until later in the afternoon, we ended up at the Gorge Bridge, which must be the mother of all Rio Grande bridges, in my humble opinion.  


WOW!  It was like a miniature Grand Canyon, and certainly gave me that same sick vertigo!





But the part I loved the best was when Geraint parked his car on the side of a cliff, and I jumped out and began snapping away at the drop-off on my side.  He quietly called my attention to what was pretty much camouflaged, a small group of bighorn sheep not much more than eye level on his "up" side of the cliff.


The entire Photo Tour idea was so worth it! Two visually stunning days in the company of a pleasant, competent driver / pro-photographer who really knew his way around the parts of Taos I really wanted to see!  

I thank you, Geraint, and I highly recommend your Photo Tours!

http://www.geraintsmith.com/phototours.html

No comments:

Post a Comment