Monday, May 5, 2014

My First Venture Out

I woke my first morning of my vacation, April 14th (Mon.), to beautiful snow!  I scampered about taking pix of my cabin, the orchard and the rest of the compound where I was staying.  

Then I rested.  It was essential that I pace myself, not get over-stimulated by this strange and marvelous place (Taos), and get plenty of rest, so I didn't risk going into a fibro flare or crash.

By afternoon, the snow had melted and I was ready to go exploring. But I didn't want to get lost on my first day, so I followed the main drag, Paseo del Pueblo Sur, south out of town.  I knew this road would take me to Santa Fe, but I wasn't going that far!  I just wanted to go about 10 miles, to see what I could see.



Incredible! The highway ran along the lower Rio Grande Gorge, a scene of majestic beauty. Yes, this is the same Rio Grande that separates Texas and Mexico.

After I'd had entirely enough of hair-raising, hair-pin mountainous curves, I returned to town and made my first visit to Taos Plaza.  It's a place of shops and robbers --- but since my budget only allowed for gas, lodging, and very skimpy meals, I wasn't interested in "shopping."  I was looking for Mr. Smith, the photographer who was supposed to take me on 2 half-day photo tours the following week.  His studio/gallery was on the main drag, just off Taos Square.  He wasn't there --- out on a tour --- so I walked around for a while.  Got this nice shot of a ladder and window on an adobe building.  I think it will make a nice painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment