Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Hacienda de Los Martinez


On the morning of my Thursday afternoon photo tour, I didn't have anything to do, so I decided to go see one of the five museums I'd already bought a group ticket for.


I love going to art museums, and I can spend hours looking at paintings and sculpture.  But I also like the rustic "museums" which show the way of life of a people from long ago.



La Hacienda de Los Martinez is certainly a treasure in Taos.  Built in 1804, in a sparse fortress style (to protect it from frequent attacks by Apaches and Comanches), it became the main trading center at the northern boundary of the early Spanish colonial empire.


Hornos (outdoor ovens made of adobe)

Severino Martinez and his wife Maria raised six children in the Hacienda. It has two courtyards surrounded by 21 rooms.


Local artisans put on demonstrations throughout the year, on how to make everything from adobe bricks to quilts, rug weaving, and horno cookery.













There is also a room full of religious carvings and items used in funeral rituals.



No comments:

Post a Comment