Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Pueblo Visit

On Tuesday, the 2nd day of my visit, I was up for more exploring. Without looking at a map, I just followed the main drag (Paseo del Pueblo Norte) north, barely out of town, when it came to an abrupt end, with an Indian man flagging me into a parking lot. I had arrived at Taos Pueblo. Since I was planning to go there anyway, sooner or later, I parked the truck, grabbed my camera and headed for the ticket booth.


Hlauuma (north house), Taos Publo, NM

$16 is what it cost to get in! I never expected it to cost that much. To get my money's worth, I stuck around for a couple hours, mainly watching the light changing constantly on Taos Mountain, the backdrop of this ancient Indian village.  



Taos Pueblo, which has been continuously inhabited for over 1,000 years, is the only living Native American community designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. About 150 people live there full time. 

Hlaukwima (south house), Taos Pueblo, NM
You were allowed to enter any doorway that was left open, where you could buy Pueblo-made items (pottery, silver jewelry, moccasins, drums, etc.) and a limited variety of food.  I bought a very good piece of cherry pie, but it was almost as flat as a PopTart and at $4/slice, pretty pricey.



I'm shy by nature, and with peoples of a different culture I'm especially so.  The pueblo has so many rules, which I understand are necessary, because tourists don't always tend to be the most respectful of visitors.  


I spent most of my time along Red Willow Creek, the stream that runs between the north and south buildings of the village. None of the buildings in Taos Pueblo have electricity or running water. All water for household needs and cooking is hauled from this creek to the residences in large water jars by the women. 




I played with pueblo dogs that ran loose everywhere.  






I wandered about snapping way too many pictures, but couldn't help it. I hope to make some interesting paintings from the material I collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment